Breast Lifting (Mastopexy) Operation Details Istanbul Turkey
Follow Up Visit
WARNING The duration of treatment and trecovery time after the treatment may vary from patients to patients. The above information includes estimated values prepared for patients from abroad.
What Is Breast Lift Surgery?
Breast lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure performed by a plastic surgeon to change the shape of the breasts and give them a more aesthetic and confident appearance.
There are several reasons why women have a breast lift. Usually, mothers may request a breast lift to regain the old shape or firmness of their sagging breasts after pregnancy or breastfeeding. Women may also be candidates for breast lift to reshape sagging breast sizes due to ageing, excessive weight gain and genetic reasons. Some women who have survived a very small number of breast cancer survivors may wish to optimise the results of breast reconstruction after breast cancer surgery.
A breast lift, also called mastopexy, is a surgical procedure that lifts and reshapes the breasts. For this, the plastic surgeon reshapes the breast by removing the excess skin that causes sagging of the breasts and raising the nipple and areola to a more forward position. Thus, in addition to giving the breasts a younger and more feminine appearance, it may also have allowed bras and swimsuits to fit more comfortably and attractively.
Breast lift does not change the size of the breasts. If you want to increase the size of your breasts then you will need to have breast augmentation (surgical procedures with or without implants) in addition to this surgical procedure, if you want to reduce the size of your breasts then you will need to have breast reduction surgery in addition to this surgical procedure.
Why Is Breast Lift Surgery Performed?
The breasts may sag over time due to reasons such as ageing, genetics, breastfeeding and pregnancy, may lose their shape and volume, the nipples and areola may be pointed downwards, one may be lower than the other (asymmetric).
There are several ways to find out if you need a breast lift. If your nipples are pointing downwards and the nipple and areola are below the natural folds of the breasts, you will need a breast lift. A breast lift positions your nipples to point forward and also corrects the asymmetry of the breasts (if any).
Can Breast Lift Be Achieved Without Surgery?
It is noteworthy that the preference for breast lift has increased in recent years and it is even more popular than breast augmentation. However, some patients are hesitant to have breast lift surgery due to the risk of anaesthesia and postoperative bleeding, infection or scarring.
Patients with such reservations may prefer non-surgical breast lift methods, but these methods may not produce as impressive results as the traditional method with surgery. But you can still choose one of these methods as a temporary solution to your wishes. The main ones of these methods are as follows:
- Bodytite, which is also used in other parts of the body and provides tightening in the breasts by increasing collagen synthesis by using radiofrequency energy, can be one of the preferred methods.
- Laser treatment (using laser energy instead of radiofrequency), which is another similar method, can also be an option, which also increases collagen synthesis and provides tightening in the breast skin and breast lift.
- Thermage is a method that increases collagen synthesis, as in the other two methods above, and radio waves created by the device called “ThermaCool” are used in this procedure. However, since the effects obtained with this procedure last for several months, you need to renew the procedure at certain intervals. This procedure can be applied to other parts of the body as well as to others.
- J-Plasma, cold plasma energy (the energy created by the ionised helium gas with radiofrequency energy), which is also used in other parts of the body, tightens the skin and increases the collagen synthesis similar to the three methods above. Thus, it provides tightening in the breast skin and breast lift. This method provides a longer lasting effect without the need for repetition like the other methods above.
- The method called “Vampire Breast Lift” or “PRP Breast Lift“, which provides lifting and volume increase in the breast by applying your own plasma (PRP = Platelet Rich Plasma) under the skin, is one of the preferred non-surgical breast lift methods. Similar to the other methods above, it causes an increase in elastin and collagen synthesis under the skin and thus an increase in breast volume and tightening of the skin. Although the long-term side effects of this method are unknown, some patients may experience mild bruising, swelling and tenderness.
- Caci bust treatment is another non-surgical breast lift procedure. This procedure basically causes injury to the muscles, shortening of the muscle lengths by giving electrical pulses to the muscles under the breast through electrodes. Thus, it indirectly provides a lifting in the breast. It may take several sessions for the desired effect to occur in the breast.
- As in other parts of the body, botox can be preferred to tighten the breast skin. However, this effect is less than other methods and may be preferred for milder cases. Its effects are also short, as in other parts of the body, and will need to be renewed at regular intervals.
Who Is Suitable for Breast Lift Surgery?
If you want to have a breast lift, you should question whether you are a suitable candidate for this surgical procedure. To have a breast lift, you must have the following qualifications:
- You should not have any health problems: if you have chronic diseases, it increases postoperative complications and sometimes having this surgery can endanger your life.
- You must be at a constant weight: If you gain and lose excess weight, you cannot be a suitable candidate for a breast lift.
- You must not be a smoker: Smoking negatively affects wound healing and increases the incidence of postoperative complications.
- You must not have breastfeeding, pregnancy and possibility of becoming pregnant.
- You may be a candidate for a breast lift if you think your breasts are sagging or have lost their shape and volume, are flattened, have your nipples pointing down, have an enlarged areola, or have one breast lower than the other. But you will need to fulfil the above conditions.
What Are the Steps of Breast Lift Surgery?
Anaesthesia is the first stage of breast lift. Anaesthesia is performed as intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia. Your anaesthesiologist and plastic surgeon will determine which one is right for you.
As the second step, whichever surgical technique has been determined beforehand, your surgeon will apply that technique in the surgery. Three different incision shapes can be applied in breast lift. 1- Circular incision around the areola 2- Combination of circular incisions around the areola and vertical incisions extending from the areola to the breast crease 3- Combination of horizontal incisions (inverted T-shaped) running along the breast crease in addition to the vertical incisions running around the areola and vertical incisions from the areola to the breast crease. Your plastic surgeon will determine which surgical technique will be suitable for you before the surgery and will share this with you.
As the third stage, the breast is reshaped by cutting the excess sagging skin from the periphery of the incision lines, and then the operation is terminated by suturing the incision lines.
What is Breast Lift Surgery Recovery and Healing Period?
One or two days after breast lift surgery, during your check-up visit, your surgeon will change your dressings on the breast, if there is no fluid coming from your drains, they will be pulled, and your suture lines and tissues will be checked for blood supply.
You will have pain for a few days after the surgery. That’s why surgeons may want you to use painkillers. Sometimes your pain can last up to 1 week and if you feel that you can’t stand the pain, you can take painkillers.
There may be swelling and bruising for about 2 weeks after the surgery. There may be a feeling of pinkness, pain and tingling at the incision sites for several months. Numbness in the nipples and areola can last up to 6 weeks.
It is recommended to avoid movements that will cause bending and stretching of your breasts and to wear a special surgical support bra. Surgeons will be asked to use this bra for 3-4 weeks. Afterwards, you will be asked to use a soft supportive bra for 3-4 weeks. It is recommended to sleep on your back or side.
It is recommended to avoid sexual activity for 1-2 weeks after surgery.
The stitches on your breasts are usually the kind that dissolve on their own. But if you have stitches that do not dissolve in 1-2 weeks, you may need to have them removed. It is recommended to use silicone tapes and wound healing accelerating gels to reduce scar formation at the stitches. It is also recommended that you avoid sunbathing on your breasts to reduce the risk of scarring at the stitches.
After 6-12 weeks, you start to see the positive effects of the surgery. It may take 6-12 months for definitive results to be seen (as with any surgical procedure).
What Are Breast Lift Surgery Risks?
Your plastic surgeon will roughly inform you about the surgical techniques, possible risks and complications of breast lift surgery. In addition, your surgeon will ask you to read and sign the consent form in order not to miss any possible information and details.
While some of the possible risks and complications of breast lift surgery include those that can be seen after every surgery, some of them include those specific to this surgery.
General risks and complications:
- Risks and complications related to drugs and anaesthetic techniques used during anaesthesia
- Bleeding or hematoma formation
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Fat necrosis
- Fluid collection under the skin (seroma)
- Poor healing of incision sites
Risks and complications related to breast lift:
- Breast asymmetry: Although attention is paid to symmetry during the surgery, there may be differences in both breasts after wound healing and this may be reflected in the general appearance of the breast.
- Breast contour and shape irregularities: Postoperative wound healing may differ due to genetic differences. This may not fully meet the desired aesthetic results and may lead to such a complication.
- Nipple or breast sensation changes, which may be temporary or permanent. This complication may also be the result of individual genetic and anatomical differences.
- Possibility of revisional surgery: Possible unwanted breast contour and shape irregularities may need to be corrected after the postoperative recovery period is completed (usually it is recommended to be performed 1 year after the first surgery)
- There may be potential partial or complete loss of the nipple and areola.
What is Age Restriction for Breast Lift Surgery?
Breast lift is not recommended for people under the age of 18, as breast growth and development continues.
What is Type of Anaesthesia and Length of Breast Lift Surgery Procedure?
Breast Lift surgery is performed under intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia and it usually takes 2-3 hours. However, sometimes when a breast implant is requested to be placed, this period can be extended by about 1 hour.
Breast Lift (Mastopexy) in Istanbul Turkey Before&After
I had breast lifting surgery with Meditravelist and I was very pleased with the result. I was guided in a very professional way before and after the operation. Before the surgery, I was informed in detail about all the procedures and my concerns were resolved. After the operation, we had regular checks and received detailed information about my recovery process.
- 1 Breast Lifting (Mastopexy) Operation Details Istanbul Turkey
- 2 What Is Breast Lift Surgery?
- 3 Why Is Breast Lift Surgery Performed?
- 4 Can Breast Lift Be Achieved Without Surgery?
- 5 Who Is Suitable for Breast Lift Surgery?
- 6 What Are the Steps of Breast Lift Surgery?
- 7 What is Breast Lift Surgery Recovery and Healing Period?
- 8 What Are Breast Lift Surgery Risks?
- 9 What is Age Restriction for Breast Lift Surgery?
- 10 What is Type of Anaesthesia and Length of Breast Lift Surgery Procedure?
- 11 Breast Lift (Mastopexy) in Istanbul Turkey Before&After