Breast Augmentation Operation Details Istanbul Turkey
Follow Up Visit
WARNING The duration of treatment and trecovery time after the treatment may vary from patients to patients. The above information includes estimated values prepared for patients from abroad.
“What Is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation, also known as “breast enlargement” or “breast enhancement” or “boob job”, is one of the most performed plastic surgery procedures to increase the size or change the shape of the breasts.
Many women decide to have breast augmentation to feel better when they are not satisfied with the size and shape of their breasts. Women often have this feeling, either when their breasts look small, when their breasts are asymmetrical, or because of changes in the size and shape of their breasts after weight loss or pregnancy, and they decide to have breast augmentation, which is a major surgery.
However, breast augmentation is a really difficult and big decision. Breast enlargement is a major surgery that is usually performed by placing implants containing silicone gel into the breast tissue or under the pectoral muscle behind the breast. Recovery after surgery takes some time, and it may take several weeks before you feel completely better.
Since this surgery is performed for cosmetic purposes, the expenses will not be covered by the government or your health insurance. In addition, with this surgery, you will accept the possibility that you may undergo additional several surgeries (replacement of the implant for reasons such as rupture or size change) in the future. These additional surgeries will also add extra costs to your budget. That’s why we say that breast enlargement surgery is a big decision and we definitely recommend that you think about them in detail.”
Breast augmentation with fat, is also called a natural breast augmentation, fat transfer breast augmentation, lipofilling or lipo-modelling, is another method of breast augmentation obtained by injecting the own fat taken from another part of the body into the breasts. Recently, breast augmentation with fat has become much more preferred because it is natural.
Breast augmentation with fat is a much less invasive breast augmentation method compared to breast augmentation with an implant and it has been used as an alternative for many years. In addition, some other advantages of breast augmentation with fat over breast augmentation with implants are as follows:
- Since your own fat is taken and transferred to the breasts, it is completely natural and no artificial materials are used.
- Breast enlargement is more natural than with implants.
- When breast augmentation is performed with fat, the risks of complications related to the implant (capsular contracture around the implant, rupture of the implant, infection) are also eliminated.
- There are scars that are too small to be noticed (entry holes of the cannula used in fat transfer).
- The concerns of rupture and replacement of the implant are also eliminated.
- With this method, patients also get rid of unwanted fat in different parts of their body.
However, breast augmentation with fat also has some disadvantages:
- The breast volume in breast augmentation obtained with fat transfer is likely to be less than that obtained with silicone breast implants, and the maximum size increase to be achieved with this method is also less.
- In addition, when the method of breast augmentation with fat transfer is chosen, if you aim to obtain larger breasts, as in breast augmentation with silicone implants, it will always cost more as the amount of fat to be transferred will increase. However, as mentioned above, the probability of achieving the desired large volume nozzles will be low.
- All of the fat transferred to the breasts, as well as in other parts of the body, can maintain its vitality in its own fat transfer. Any non-surviving fat cells (called fat necrosis, fat cell death) can cause granulomatous reactions in the surrounding tissue or subsequently form cystic spaces (cystic lumps) in the area of these dead fat cells (fatty cystic degeneration). This is due to the fact that too much fat is injected in one session. In addition, the fat must be injected at an appropriate depth.
- In the transfer of fat cells, they must maintain their vitality during the journey from the donor area (belly, thigh, back) to the recipient area, just like in organ transplants. Transplantation of non-viable fat cells may also cause foreign body reactions or the formation of fat cysts.
Not everyone is a candidate for breast augmentation with fat. If you have one of the following reasons, you may need to choose the breast augmentation method with an implant:
- For fat transfer to the chest, it is necessary to be at or close to the ideal body weight. Since there is not enough fat in the body to transfer to the breasts in people with weak body structure, breast augmentation cannot be performed with this method.
- If you plan to lose weight in the future, you are still not suitable for this method. Because when you lose weight, the fat mass transferred to the breast will also be affected, and the results will be negatively affected.
- Those with sagging breasts are also not suitable for breast augmentation with fat. Because such people will need breast lift in addition to breast augmentation.
After the consultation, the plastic surgeon will consider which of the above-mentioned breast augmentation methods will be more suitable for you, taking into account your expectations.
How is Breast Augmentation Performed?
Breast augmentation surgery with implants is performed under general anaesthesia and takes approximately one and a half to two hours.
After the general anaesthesia begins to take effect, the plastic surgeon will first make a small incision in the skin of the breasts long enough for the implant to pass through. This incision is usually made over the crease under the breasts, but it can sometimes be made around the nipple or under the armpit (in accordance with the natural curves of the body).
The plastic surgeon will create a pocket suitable for the size of the implant through this incision, either under the breast skin, into the breast tissue, or under the pectoral muscle. Then, the implant is placed in this pocket and it is checked whether the desired size is reached. If everything is as desired, the breast skin is stitched. Afterwards, the wound will be covered with a dressing and the breasts will be wrapped with a supportive bandage.
Breast augmentation with fat is an aesthetic surgical procedure performed by harvesting fat (Step1: The harvesting of the fat) from a part of the body (abdomen, thighs or sides) by liposuction and then purifying (Step 2: The purification of the harvested fat) and injecting it into the breasts (Step 3: The transfer of the purified fat).
In traditional purification methods, a large number of fat cells can be destroyed during centrifugation even before they are injected into the breasts. Thanks to the new technologies (including fat filtration and stem cell isolation) developed for this purpose, more of the donor fat cells are preserved during the filtration process.
The plastic surgeon must patiently inject the purified and filtered fat into large areas of the breasts, taking a large amount of time. Therefore, this process requires experience. If too much fat is injected in a single session, as we mentioned above, fat cell survival rates will be low and complications may occur with the transfer of dead fat cells (please see also above).
Breast Implants and Methods of Breast Augmentation Surgery
As mentioned in detail above, there are mainly two different methods of breast enlargement. We have explained in detail above how breast augmentation with fat is done, its advantages and disadvantages.
Three different methods can be applied for the placement of implants in breast augmentation with implants. In fact, these three methods were briefly mentioned above. Here, it will be discussed that these methods together with their advantages and disadvantages in more detail, in order of preference by plastic surgeons:
- Most plastic surgeons prefer to make an incision on the anatomical fold of the breast on the underside of the breast when placing the breast implant. This incision leaves a small scar and is usually hidden under the breast at the crease. In addition, this scar does not interfere with breastfeeding in the future. This method is a method frequently used by plastic surgeons.
- Some plastic surgeons may choose to make an incision under the armpit. This leaves a small scar on the skin under the armpit like under the breast. This will not interfere with breastfeeding in the future.
- Another method is to place the breast implant with an incision around the nipple. Most plastic surgeons do not prefer this method as it may cause loss of sensation around the nipple and may adversely affect breastfeeding in the future.
There are different types and shapes of breast implants available. Patients can choose the type and shape of the implant. However, your plastic surgeon will guide you in the best way in choosing the implant. Therefore, it is useful to leave the choice of implant after consultation with your plastic surgeon.
There are 3 types of breast implants: silicone gel (soft), silicone gel (hard) and saline.
The shapes of breast implants can also vary and there are mainly 2 different shapes: round and teardrop shape.
What is the Right Breast Implant Size for You? Before – After
It is extremely difficult to decide on your own the size and shape of a breast implant. Generally, your plastic surgeon will make an assessment by taking into account your current breast size and the desired breast size and will assist you in this regard. Below are some tips on what you should pay attention to in order to prepare yourself before going to the consultation with your plastic surgeon:
- When deciding on breast implant size, the volume of the implant (in cc) will be considered rather than the bra size:
Do not determine your desired breast size according to your bra size. Bra sizes may vary from brand to brand. Therefore, bra size is not preferred for implant selection in aesthetic surgery clinics.
That’s why breast implants are sized in CC (Cubic Centimetres). The larger the CC, the larger the breast implant will be. It is generally estimated that 130-150 CC will correspond to an increase in bra cup size of approximately one unit.
However, 6 weeks after the surgery, after the healing process is partially completed (as with any surgical intervention, full recovery is 6-12 months), you can decide to buy a new bra. We recommend that you get the opinion of your plastic surgeon before buying a new bra.
- More accurate and detailed measurements will need to be made according to the anatomical structure of your body:
When you come for the examination to your plastic surgeon, many measurements will be taken, including details such as height, weight, body frame, shoulder width, and initial breast volume. The size you choose according to your bra size or according to the opinion of others may be small or large for your anatomical structure. Therefore, it will be necessary to pay attention to all of these parameters when deciding on the size of your implant.
- You will need to define your comfort zone well:
Many people may think that it would be more accurate to just draw the attention of others when determining the size of breast implants. But this belief is not true. A decision you take in this direction may damage your self-confidence. Therefore, we recommend that you take care not to be too exaggerated when determining the breast size. You should determine the size of the breast implant in such a way that it does not negatively affect your self-confidence, neither at the beach nor at work. Your plastic surgeon will guide you in this regard.
- Consider your hobbies when determining the size of your breast implant:
For those who do fitness and exercise, the size of the implant should be suitable for these activities, and it is also important where the breast implant will be placed. Athletes should be aware that they will stay away from exercise and sports activities for at least 6 weeks and that this will lead to a decrease in their condition. If you have such or other hobbies, please share this information with your plastic surgeon.
- When deciding on the size of a breast implant, you should be aware that there are different types and shapes of implants:
While tear implants take the natural breast shape (except for the increase in breast size, its current appearance does not change much), round implants have a completely rounded and smoother natural appearance. Round implants are the most preferred breast implant type by plastic surgeons and patients due to these features. After determining the breast implant type, you should decide on the size in the second step.
- Do not determine your breast implant size by comparing it to others:
You can get advice from friends or family members who have had breast augmentation surgery before. However, only consider recommendations other than breast implant size recommendations. As we mentioned above, everyone’s anatomical structure is different, a size and shape that is suitable for your friend may not be suitable for you. That’s why we recommend that you be more influenced by the people around you who have had surgery. It will be the right approach for you to determine the size of the breast implant, taking into account the recommendations of your plastic surgeon and your own expectations.
Are you A Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
We recommend that you review the eligibility criteria below before deciding if you are eligible for breast augmentation:
- As the most basic rule, you must be healthy, as for any surgical operation. You must not have any active infections, untreated cancer, or serious chronic diseases. If you have any existing disease, be sure to inform your plastic surgeon about this information.
- If your breasts are sagging, flattened, asymmetrical, or have less or decreased volume, you are likely to be a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery.
- If you want to be a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery, it is expected that you should preferably not smoke and not drink alcohol, as in other aesthetic surgery procedures. If you smoke, you should stop smoking at least before (1.5-2 months) and after (1.5-2 months) surgery. If you drink alcohol, you may need to stop drinking alcohol for a certain amount of time before and after the surgery or to reduce it significantly.
- Since breast augmentation surgery will change your appearance, you should think and decide in a healthy way, taking into account your habits and lifestyle.
- Breast augmentation surgery will make a change in the appearance of your breasts as much as your body anatomical structure allows, but you should be aware that this will never make a significant change in the general image of your body or it will not be a solution to your other aesthetic concerns. That’s why you can be a good candidate for breast augmentation as long as your expectations about this subject are realistic.
- Although breast augmentation surgery is surgically safe and FDA-approved breast implants are used, this surgery has some risks, as in other surgeries. Therefore, you should be aware that there may be some risks as well as the rewards you will gain with breast augmentation. If you act with this awareness and be prepared for possible postoperative complications (usually, there are no complications in most people), you may be a good candidate for breast augmentation.
- As stated above when determining the breast implant size, you should not have breast augmentation surgery just because someone else wants it. If you have it done for your own happiness, you are still a good candidate for this surgery.
- Although it varies from person to person after the surgery, you should know that you cannot do certain physical activities for 2-6 weeks and you may need help. As long as you can prepare yourself for this situation, you are still a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery.
- You must be at least 18 years old for saline implants and 22 years old for silicone implants. If you are over these ages, you may be a suitable candidate for breast augmentation.
You cannot be a candidate for breast augmentation if you have one of the following conditions:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you are not a suitable candidate for breast augmentation. However, you can be a candidate for breast augmentation 3-6 months after you stop breastfeeding (ideally 6 months).
- If you have breast cancer or an abnormal mammogram, you cannot be a candidate for breast augmentation. Only after your breast cancer has been treated can you be a candidate for breast augmentation with an implant but not for breast augmentation with fat.
- If you have a disease or a severe infection, you still cannot be a candidate. However, after your treatment, if your doctor states that you are suitable for breast augmentation surgery, you can have it done.
- If you have unrealistic expectations for postoperative results that cannot be met, you cannot be a candidate. Only when you bring your expectations to a realistic level can you be a candidate for breast augmentation.
Breast Augmentation in Istanbul Turkey Before&After
What To Think About Before You Have Breast Augmentation?
There are some factors that patients should consider before deciding to have breast augmentation surgery:
- Do you want to have breast augmentation with an implant or fat transfer?
It is useful to know that implants (saline or silicone) are not your only option for breast augmentation, and breast size can be increased by transferring your own fat to the breast.
Breast augmentation with fat, which has been explained in more detail above, is a preferred method of breast enlargement recently due to its natural nature. However, it is useful to know that with this method, it is possible to increase only up to two cup sizes. If you want larger breasts, you should choose breast augmentation with implants.
- You should be aware that sagging in your breasts will not be fixed with breast augmentation alone:
If your breasts have developed sagging due to pregnancy and breastfeeding, you should have to perform combined breast augmentation and lift can be performed. In fact, breast augmentation alone can worsen the appearance of saggy breasts.
Breast lift (mastopexy) surgery aims to tighten the breast tissue, remove excess skin, and reposition the areola and nipple to their normal position.
If you have such a situation, it is useful to keep in mind that the breast lift procedure will definitely be added when planning to have breast augmentation.
- You should be aware that breast implants have a certain lifespan and will need to be replaced after a certain period of time:
Thanks to developments in the field of medicine and studies to increase the life of medical materials, breast implants can be used safely for more than 10 years, but they are not lifetime medical materials.
For this purpose, you should prefer FDA-approved breast implants (despite being more expensive), and you should especially inquire from your plastic surgeon whether he or she uses FDA-approved breast implants.
You should also keep in mind that you will need to have breast MRI scans 3 years after implant breast augmentation surgery and every 2 years thereafter.
- Before you decide on breast augmentation, you should remember that you may have additional breast surgeries in the future:
Most breast augmentation patients should be aware of the fact that they will go for a breast implant replacement sooner when the implant expires or becomes complicated. You may also need breast lift surgery in addition to breast augmentation. Patients generally tend to change their plastic surgeon when complicated situations (such as breast implant rupture, implant contracture formation) occur. But the right thing is to go to the same plastic surgeon. This rule applies to all surgical operations. Because the person who performed the first surgery has more information about what was done in the first surgery, they will be more successful in correcting the complications that occur.
- You should be aware that besides the type of breast implant (saline or silicone), you also have to decide about the shape, texture and profile of the implant:
When choosing breast implants, after deciding on the material type, you should also determine the shape (round or drop-shaped), the texture of the outer surface (smooth or textured shell), and the profile.
Your plastic surgeon will help you make the right decision by taking into account your anatomical structure, lifestyle, habits and wishes. Your plastic surgeon may say that the implant size you want is not suitable for you and may warn you to choose the lower volume one.
Sometimes, oversized implants can accelerate breast sagging or cause back and shoulder pain in the future. In this case, you may have to change the breast implant early and have an additional breast lift surgery. For these reasons, we recommend that you follow such warnings from your plastic surgeon.
- If you have plans to breastfeed, the incision site to place the breast implant is important.
If you have plans to have a child in the future and to breastfeed afterwards, you should know that the crease under the breast or the armpit should be chosen instead of the areola area for the incision site. You should definitely tell your plastic surgeon about such plans during the examination.
- It is important to determine the implant pocket where the breast implant will be placed:
It is extremely important to decide where the implant pocket will be (submammary pocket or subpectoral pocket). Both implant pockets have advantages and disadvantages.
Subpectoral or submuscular placement is preferred for those with small breasts. When the breast implant is placed under the pectoral muscle, the risk of capsular contracture is less, radiological mammograms are easier to read (especially for those with a history of breast cancer), there is less risk of the implant migration or sliding downwards, and it makes the breasts look more natural.
However, placement under the pectoral muscle is not preferred in those who have enough breast tissue, fitness, bodybuilders and athletes. Such patients should choose subglandular or submammary implant placement rather than subpectoral implant placement.
For these reasons, your plastic surgeon should not only consider your site, but also know your lifestyle and habits.
- If you smoke, you should stop smoking at least 1.5 months before and 1.5 months after the surgery.
A single cigarette or even a single puff before surgery can pose a risk. The reason for this is because nicotine constricts blood vessels and impairs blood circulation, wound healing is adversely affected and it paves the way for the formation of post-operative complications.
No plastic surgeon wants their efforts to go to waste and you to be unhappy because of this. For all these reasons, most plastic surgeons will not accept surgery.
- What you will see immediately after the operation should not surprise or frighten you.
Changes such as swelling and bruising immediately after surgery are changes that may occur after all surgical operations.
Such changes should not frighten you, because they are expected and are part of the healing process. Such changes may be more in some patients. Do not compare with other people.
These changes will disappear after weeks, and it will take time for your breast implant to fully settle in its location. All you have to do is be patient until you see full results.
Breast Augmentation Treatment Options
You have basically two options for breast augmentation, one with an implant and the other with fat transfer. We have discussed in detail above who is suitable for both methods, their advantages and disadvantages. If you decide to have breast augmentation with an implant, you will need to determine the type, shape, texture, projection type and location of the implant. Afterwards, it will be necessary to decide in which incision the implant will be placed in the breast. For this, you will have 3 options (periareolar, inframammary fold and axillary pit incisions) according to your suitability, as we have detailed above.
Why You Should Perform Breast Augmentation Surgery in Istanbul, Turkey?
Turkey is among the most popular countries in the field of breast cosmetic surgery. While breast cosmetic surgery patients originally came from European countries due to its proximity and affordable prices, in the last few years, Turkey has become a centre of attraction for medical tourists due to its affordable price, despite travel expenses from distant parts of the world.
One of the most important factors for medical tourists to prefer Turkey is the affordable prices. However, other important factors in their preference are that they receive from our plastic surgeons who are experienced in breast surgery (most of them have membership certification of the European Board of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, and the American Board of Plastic Surgery) in hospitals with the latest technology (European and American standards) where high quality postoperative care services are provided.
In order for you to reach these health services more easily, luxurious comfortable transfer between the airport-hotel-hospital and optional super-luxury accommodation close to the hospital (usually it is free in your treatment package, but sometimes it is offered to you with an extra fee at a very affordable price) are provided.
Turkey and especially Istanbul have achieved great success in breast augmentation (with implant and with fat transfer) in recent years. Breast augmentation with implants is USD 4000-10000 in the USA, GBP 3500-8000 in the UK, while it varies between USD 3000-5000 (EUR 2800-4800) in Turkey. Contrary to breast augmentation with the implant, the amount of fat to be transferred to the breast varies, so the prices are very variable. Breast augmentation with fat is USD 3000-15000 in the USA, GBP 5500-8500 in the UK, while it varies between USD 3500-5500 (EUR 3300-5300) in Turkey. Prices in Turkey are usually package prices, in addition to the price of the plastic surgeon, your stay in the hospital, your care and all medical procedures are included in this price. You may even encounter price packages that include transfer and accommodation in these prices.
Istanbul also attracts a lot of attention due to its historical places, bazaars, and entertainment centres. When all these advantageous features come together, it becomes one of the most preferred places for facelift surgery. Istanbul offers many opportunities to its visitors and facelift surgery patients before the surgery. They can take a boat tour on the Bosphorus or visit the cultural heritage of Istanbul. If they wish, they can enjoy Istanbul by staying in luxurious 5-star hotels with Bosphorus views.
Another advantage of Istanbul is its advanced transportation facilities. With these means of transportation, you can go to any part of Turkey you want. It is also very easy to reach Istanbul from abroad through international airports.
I had my breast augmentation done by Meditravelist in Turkey and I can recommend them ! The whole process was so smooth and easy from start to finish. The staff were incredibly friendly and professional, and the facilities were top-notch.
- 1 Breast Augmentation Operation Details Istanbul Turkey
- 2 “What Is Breast Augmentation?
- 3 How is Breast Augmentation Performed?
- 4 Breast Implants and Methods of Breast Augmentation Surgery
- 5 What is the Right Breast Implant Size for You? Before – After
- 6 Are you A Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
- 7 Breast Augmentation in Istanbul Turkey Before&After
- 8 What To Think About Before You Have Breast Augmentation?
- 9 Breast Augmentation Treatment Options
- 11 Why You Should Perform Breast Augmentation Surgery in Istanbul, Turkey?